5.16.2005

Knocking on heaven's door

In case no one has noticed, I'm trying to write titles taken from songs. It's actually kind of hard to think of them, which is odd considering I have songs stuck in my head all day long. The point is, I wish I could have come up with a better title than knocking on heaven's door, a lame song from the 80s.

I'm in class right now, which is boring. I wish that I could pull more out of it but I think I'm very distracted by the notion of the entire internet just a few clicks away. Becuase I love information so much, it is such a temptation that it's not even funny. And apparently I always cave.

I went to church yesterday. I showed up at 9:30 for a service that apparently started at 9:00. Oops. And I went to the traditional service which was just that, full of traditional people. And by traditional, I mean old. It was interesting though, because on the way, I thought to myself, "I'm going to look for God today" instead of looking for things that I liked and didn't like. Which was interesting for me, especially as a consumer. I can't even really think of a comparison. I guess it's kind of like walking into a store with the expressed intent to find things for sale but not needing to buy. That metaphor really doesn't work, though, because I do need God.

Instead of looking for Him based on preferences, I just went looking to see where He would show up. It was a very freeing experience. And for a bit, I could imagine myself sitting with these old people each week and trying to find God together. It was nice.

So I'll probably go next week to the contemporary service but with the same attitude. I'm not going to find a perfect church, but if I look for Him, I can find a perfect God.

No comments: