12.23.2005

Regulators, mount up

I found Warren G's song on myspace and decided to put it as my home song on my myspace. What a trip back to the 8th grade summer camp when Danny Spoelma put headphones on me and I listened to this song for the first time. I'm SOOOO hardcore.

I'm reading a book by a guy named James W. Loewen. He wrote Sundown Towns, and also Lies My Teacher Told Me, but I'm reading Lies Across America. It's about all these historic sites across America and how the language on plagues, positioning of statues, etc, all contribute to the promotion of an incorrect history. I'm sure my father would call him a revisionist and might accuse him of wanting to change our history, but I agree with the author who says "oftentimes, our historic sites tell us more about the people who erected them than the actual historic event." Great thought.

Also, I finished reading Eggers "You Shall Know Our Velocity" a while ago, but apparently, I read a different version than what exists elsewhere. This guy published two different versions, and one of them is about 60 pages longer than the other. I read the shorter one, and it leaves out a HUGE section where everything about the narrator is questioned, kind of Fight Club syle. Most reviewers treat the two versions as entirely different books because of the giant discrepencies. Anyway, I think it's brilliant. I actually like the book more now because when I was talking about it with Ian, because I couldn't remember the section he was talking about, I questioned the truth of the story, of my memory, of the narrator, oh it was great! What control the author has on us. It is very Andy Kaufman like, but I think it's brilliant. Here's what one reviewer said about the whole thing and I think it gives a little more insight into the author. I love it!

That's all for now. Happy Holidays, whichever you choose.

No comments: