8.26.2008

He hung himself with a guitar string...

Enclosed find a link to an awesome article on locavores, or people who insist that all food should be grown and consumed locally. It's a long 'un, but worth the read. His overarching argument is that it is unreasonable to 1) assume all regions of the U.S. can grow some (if any!) edible fruits/vegetables and 2) assume that economically, socially, or environmentally the task of localizing food growth is preferred.

To me, the concept has always reeked of flaws. I, and 2 million of my closest friends, live in the middle of a desert. It's going to take water to grow my food. I don't have that water. California does. How about they grow my strawberries and ship them here? That sounds delicious!

And while we're at it, I'll take my cows cloned, too...

No comments: