5.03.2005

Relevant and the like

In this month's relevant magazine there is an article about Moby. He says some very interesting things about Christianity that make me like him more. He seems to have an incredible grasp of the Bible and understands the principles of Christ very well. He's my new favorite DJ.

I'm still working my way through Searching for God Knows What. I've come to a part that describes Christianity as being outside formulas and states that we have reduced it to a bunch of trivia. Miller says that we seem to give preference to those who have an uncanny ability to memorize. I think that's funny.

But he also says that we shouldn't be doing this. We can't even describe the relationship between a man and a woman; but we have a formula for becoming a Christian. (Believe these things, say this prayer, follow this code, etc.) He says we should allow the mystery of it all to define as well. The closest the Bible comes to it is a bunch of metaphors (Bridegroom of Christ, lost sheep, etc.) and that should be good enough for us.

I hope that it is. I pray that I do learn how to enjoy that mystery. And especially since Ryan and I talked yesterday, I've tried to imagine some steps I can follow to love God, or I've tried to imagine some things I can change. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. Maybe I should be trying to appreciate the mystery of it and dwelling on that more. How do I love my wife? It's not a simple answer. How much more complex should my answer be to how I love God?

No comments: