12.12.2005

Well you don't know where and you don't know when

It's my party this weekend. I'm going to party like it's 1959. I actually think I used that joke last year at this time. I hate myself sometimes.

Speaking of failures, I'm still trying to memorize some Scripture. I'm on week two and already a week behind. I really do think that it's something I want to do more but for some reason I'm really hung up on this week's passage. It's from the Beatitudes and the wording in The Message translation is screwy in my head. Oh well. Go week.

I'm turning in two papers this week. They have similar sources. That's all.

I had some good thoughts last week about Revolution. Mostly that we need to be a healthy community that takes care of members of our community before we try to add another ministry or anything like that. It's interesting that this is happening right before Xmas break, when our community will dissolve for a few weeks. I hope that we can keep the focus of our faith over the holidays. Hahahahaha. Not funny.

Speaking of not funny, last week during prayer at work George prayed something like this: "Lord, we know that it's Christmas, not the holidays. And some people want to take the Christ out of Christmas and make it something less than it is: your birth." And on and on. I'm not sure that common colloquialisms should be the biggest concern we have this holiday season. If someone doesn't want to call it Christmas, that's fine. If someone doesn't want to call it Kwanzaa, that's fine with me, too. I will celebrate Christmas and I will expect stores to be closed that day, but if they want to open, that's fine, too. The issue is not whether or not we can defend a date of dubious origin, but whether or not the man we believe was born on that day is worth following or not. I don't think he's worried about those who don't celebrate the day, but about how WE love those who don't celebrate the day. It's silly to try to pump ourselves up over semantics. That's all.

Time to pay more attention.

No comments: